A great Sunday family meal, or perhaps a nice meal for Valentine’s Day, a birthday, or an anniversary. This is a dry brine. Make sure that you throughly brush off brine residue.
- 2 lbs beef tenderloin
- 3 lbs kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seed
- 1 Tbsp. tarragon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup of water
- Liberally pepper the beef tenderloin on all sides. Brown all sides of the beef tenderloin, set aside so its comes to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the salt, tarragon, fennel seed, nutmeg, and water. You want the consistency of wet, packable sand.
- Spread a thin layer of the salt on your baking sheet. Place the beef tenderloin on top and cover the with remaining salt. Make sure the entire beef tenderloin is covered in the salt mix.
- Bake at 250°F/120°C for 45-60 minutes or until the internal temperature is about 120°F for medium rare. For medium, cook until internal temp is 130-135.
- Remove and let it rest in the salt crust for 15 minutes.
- Using the back of the spoon, crack the salt crust and remove. Brush away any excess salt and remove the beef tenderloin.Slice and serve with roasted vegetables. Enjoy!