Making this tornado cake is a pretty simple affair. There’s no batter or cake sponge to make. You only need to mix eggs, fruit cocktail, baking soda and flour together, top it with chopped nuts and then bake it. The icing is also pretty simple – you only need to boil shredded coconut with cream, milk and sugar. This amazingly simple cake recipe is from Teresa of Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen.
For the cake:
1 ½ cups sugar
2 cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
1 cup chopped nuts
2 cups fruit cocktail with syrup (16-oz. can)
2 tsp. baking soda
¼ cup brown sugar
For the icing:
1 stick butter
1 cup coconut
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
- Mix regular sugar, eggs, fruit cocktail, baking soda and flour.
- Pour into greased and floured 9×13” pan.
- Combine brown sugar and nuts; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 325° for 40 minutes.
- Spread icing on cake while hot.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen.